Able Bodied Team Members
Each boat will be crewed by two sailors with disabilities and one able bodied sailor (AB). The AB will assist in an action/activity that the sailors cannot do, must be able to take command of the boat in an emergency situation and must be able to move about the cramped cockpit of an Ideal 18 safely. Participants may bring their own AB or an AB will be provided by the Organizing Authority upon request.
The Organizing Authority will provide adapted Ideal 18’s for fleet racing. The competitor is responsible for a refundable boat damage deposit of $500. Adaptations will be made to each boat reflecting each sailor’s disability per the Notice of Race. Other adaptations may be permitted by the Organizing Authority – such as alternative tiller extensions, suction hand holds, but no extra purchase systems may be added nor any holes drilled into any of the borrowed boats. The additional adaptations must be approved by the Organizing Authority and adaptations should not increase the advantage over other competitors.
Skippers shall belong to their National Governing body. All disabled sailors are eligible to compete and the organizing Authority encourages people with any manner of disability to participate. Note, you do not have to have a US Sailing certified disability to participate.
The Robie Pierce Women's Invitational is free of charge. The entry fee for the Robie Pierce One-Design Regatta is $125 per sailor. This fee includes racing costs, Ideal 18 charter, all breakfasts and lunches, dinners, beverages and snacks and the awards ceremony. Full boat entry fee is due at time of registration. There is no fee for AB's.
- Ideal 18s and sails with no additional charter fee
- Individual guest charge accounts can be set up and billed to credit cards
- Borrowed Boat Insurance provided by the Organizing Authority
- Adaptations for Ideal 18s
- Race Committee and Protest Committee; Sailing Instructions; NOR
- Adequate safety boats on water
- Accessible toilets and wash-up area for the competitors
- Volunteers to assist sailors getting on/off boats at the dock and to rig/derig
- Breakfast and lunch Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Dinners Friday and Saturday with an award ceremony on Sunday
- Adequate accessible parking
There are a limited number of guest rooms at the Larchmont Yacht Club, only a few with adaptive facilities, but Robie Pierce competitors are welcome to call LYC at 914-834-2440 and inquire about available rooms. When calling LYC, mention that you are participating in the Robie Pierce Regatta and that Buttons Padin is your LYC sponsor.
As in the past, blocks of rooms have been arranged for out-of-town participants at the local hotels listed below. When calling to make reservations, refer to the "Robie Pierce Regatta block of rooms.
- Courtyard By Marriot in Rye, NY - 15 minutes from Larchmont Yacht Club, 914.921.1110, $169 per night for reservations made by May 8th.
- The Radisson Inn, New Rochelle, NY – 7 minutes from Larchmont Yacht Club, 914.576.3700
- Residence Inn by Marriott, New Rochelle, 7 minutes from Larchmont Yacht Club, 914.636.7888
Due to the specific adaptive needs of sailors participating in the Robie Pierce One-Design Regatta, it is not possible to provide member housing for those individuals with special needs. However, if participants and/or ABs do not require specific adaptive accommodations, the Robie Committee will endeavor to secure member housing during the regatta. As this housing can’t be guaranteed, it is requested that all member housing requests be submitted to Karin Sherman no later than May 16, 2014. Please send an email to Karin Sherman at TwoParkAve@aol.com with the following information:
- Your name
- Contact e-mail, daytime and cell phone data
- Specific people requesting housing
- Specific disability for each person
- Arrival and departure dates
- Any special requests or needs the member host should be aware of
- If you have a car
All registrations with appropriate documentation must be submitted by May 22th, 2014.